Skip to main content

Gremlins!

Lynn Peltzer: What are they?
Billy Peltzer: They're the Mogwai... I guess.
Lynn Peltzer: Did you give them water?
Billy Peltzer: No.
Lynn Peltzer: Did you feed them after midnight?
Billy Peltzer: Well, I gave them some chicken.

Rather than delicious chicken, this little
guy wanted a good post for a change.

I've realized that lately I've done a lot of cartoon posts. By realize, I mean I've received complaints... Well, your friendly neighborhood Lamanite is here to fix all that by giving you a classic! 

We've all been counseled to follow God's commandments, but why? Far as I can tell, all they do is limit your freedom and  keep you from doing the really fun things right? "If that's how you feel about them, I don't really know if you should be missionarying..." It's called a rhetorical question, and my attempt at being funny which I try VERY hard to do so just...

Well anyway, many people see God's commandments as that, restrictions that keep them from doing anything but rather than see the forest for the trees, they see the forest for the forest. (I don't think I used that expression right...) But just think about it, what does it really stop you by following them? 
  • Are you some kind of killer?
  • Are your parents really THAT bad? Enough to do something bad?
  • Don't you have enough stuff that you don't need to steal someone elses?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, Follow President Uchtdorf's two word sermon, 


The commandments, at least to me, don't act as restrictions, but rather as safeguards from ourselves cause I bet we can all testify that sometimes, we do some really dumb things. So why the protection? What's the worse that can happen? Well, let's find out huh?

(Now before I start, I want to leave you with a forethought, It's been YEARS since I've seen this movie so the details MAY be a little sketchy but roll with it okay?)

Usually it's the smaller animals that replace you.
I say that from experience...
Now Billy received a very special gift for Christmas. While most kids received a new bicycle or a scooter or even a new soccer ball, Billy received a very special pet, his very own Mogwai. What's a Mogwai? Imagine a Furby, actually, yeah pretty much a Furby. Billy's dad bought this furry little creature from a mysterious man with the following rules, 

"Don't get him wet, keep him out of bright light, and never feed him after midnight."
Simple rules right? All you gave to do it keep him away from any water. "Easy." Don't flash a bright light on him. "Done." And don't feed him after midnight. "Wait... Isn't technically every second after twelve, after midnight?" Yeah, well... That's not important and the movie didn't answer that question. "I thought you said the Book of Mormon answers everything..." It does, Boom. 

"And if there be faults they be the faults of a man. But behold, we know no fault; nevertheless God knoweth all things; therefore, he that condemneth, let him be aware lest he shall be in danger of hell fire."-Mormon 8:17
It's actually for that same reason why I hate getting
caught outside when it rains.
"Fair enough... Go on." Well, Billy finds out that Gizmo, his Mogwai HATES bright light and hurts him so that's one commandment broken and cause of it, it brought Gizmo pain, Billy then accidentally gets Gizmo wet and something kind of strange happens... Okay, it's really strange. Apparently, Mogwai, I guess the word would be reproduce when they get wet, so once Gizmo gets wet, he starts to molt balls of hair that in turn also become Mogwai. I think it hurts him too but I can't remember. While that may sound all fine and dandy, the new Mogwai aren't as kind and mild-mannered as Gizmo is and in fact are pretty much jerks, mischievous furry jerks. So that's the second commandment broken and already we see that things aren't looking so good for Billy, Gizmo and... Every one else... But hey, what could possibly go wrong?

Talk about creepy, it's just staring at me... 
Well, that's when they break the third and most important commandment, Never, EVER, feed them after midnight. Billy sees poor Mogwai who isn't Gizmo, (judging from the picture, I think his name is Stripe.) in his cage all hungry and cute and asking for some of the delicious chicken Billy's eating (Just see the first picture, wouldn't YOU give him chicken? "Aww...") So Billy decides to give him a drumstick and the Mogwai goes to town on it and demolishes that thing. All seems good in well but what Billy doesn't know is that once you feed a Mogwai after midnight, it becomes an evil gremlin, which is everything BUT cute and cuddly.

The little buggers are all evil and corrupt and feed all the other Mogwai as well as torture poor Gizmo who wants nothing to do with their revelry. Billy and his sister realize that the gremlins must be stopped because they're flipping the whole town upside down and doing things that are just inappropriate... 

Eventually the day is saved in a way I completely forgot, I want to say it had something to do with water, but for the life of me I can't remember but this all could've been avoided had Billy just listened to those three simple rules. (In the end the mysterious stranger takes Gizmo away because of all the havoc Billy and the gang have cause from disobeying which is another example of the importance of commandments.) So we have learned that following commandments keep you from almost destroying a town but that's not all they do, many think that they're just restrictions but there's a part II to all of it. (I'm talking about the commandments, there is in fact a second gremlins but do yourself a favor and don't subject yourself to that torture unless you want to see a small gremlin sing 'New York, New York' and as tempting as it sounds, it's not worth it...) 

The Lord blesses us when we do what he wants us to. In fact, here's two scriptures which prove my point!
There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated. 
 AND!
I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise.
"So if your air conditioner goes on the fritz or your washing machine blows up or your video recorder conks out; before you call the repairman turn on all the lights, check all the closets and cupboards, look under all the beds, 'cause you never can tell there just might be a gremlin in your house."
Why add a caption when you don't need to!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Priscilla Pringle's Predicament - Reader's Theater at Lethbridge Whoop-U...

This week was quite fun for me because I got to portray the main antagonist in a Reader's Theater called 'Priscilla Pringle's Predicament/All's Swell That Ends Swell' that Playgoers of Lethbridge put on at Lethbridge Whoop-Up Days 2017. The story was written by Ed Bayly, a truly wonderful individual. Doing the performances all week reminded me of how much I love participating in theater. Please enjoy this recording! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIh88Y5H3cI&t=1135s

Avatar: The Last Post

"In the era before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energies within ourselves." -A giant Lion Turtle Avatar the Last Airbender was one of my favorite shows when I was but a lad, which was about a year ago... If you haven't seen it, then you have missed out, cause they're already on the second series, season, whatever you wanna call it, but it's on Netflix so there's that. "Are you sure you're not talking about the Blue cat people?" I'm positive... I mean, it was just great, BUT, much like Pokemon, it was one of those shows, that you watch and you get sad cause you're like, "Why can't I do that?" So it was sort of bittersweet. Anyway, what I'm trying to get at, is that it's great. "You really liked it huh?" Chyea, I was thinking about it the other day and something hit me... I think it was a Dragonfly, cause let me tell you, that thing was HUGE and it hurt... But then I realized something. 

"Around and around" by Isidro Zapata on the #mormonysablogs Official Website

Around & around we go trying to fill a void in our hearts, so around & around we go, trying to fill a void in our hearts, The Son of Man's compassion, passion and grace step in, to fill the void holding us tenderly, by his love and grace Jesus will never let us go So around and around our love grows hard to walk away from such love Jesus is the only way to live a life of bliss So around and around our love grows Jesus gave his life for you and me Wiping away every tear showing you grace from above now that is true love So around and around our love grows to the one who laid down his life so we can live a life of bliss hard to walk away from such love so around and around our love grows to him who laid down his life for you and me CR2016-01-04 iz