Skip to main content

Spider-post 1: Morality Shmorality


"The power, feels good... But you lose yourself to it..."
-Peter Parker (Spider-Man, oh shoot, was I not supposed reveal that?)

Why Elder Lopez...? Why...?
There comes a time when we must all come to terms with the things we do and decide what kind of person we are going to be, a man of justice and honor? Or a scoundrel who thinks only for himself. Thus is the plight of humanity... "Wow... That was actually really profound. Maybe I've been wrong about you." What? Sorry, I was reading the back of this Laffy Taffy wrapper. "Sigh... Okay... Those things are getting really profound lately." Right? It looks like they're trying to *wrap* it up! "That picture sums up how I feel right now..." Oh...

So back to that very profound wrapper, it is outdeed true that because we as people have agency, or the ability to choose decisions for ourselves, that we do have to look deep inside ourselves to solve our problems and for the most part, decide what outlook on life we want to have. You know who else had this problem? "Everyone on Earth...?" Close, Spider-Man! Unfortunately, we have to talk about one of THE worst Spider-man movies ever created which is none other than Spider-man 3, but even bad movies have good lessons!


As unprofound as this picture may seem,
if you add a caption like: 'Everybody has a dark side.'
It seems a whole lot deeper.  It doesn't...
So in Spider-man 3, we follow the life of Peter Parker, AKA Spider-man as he does his Spider-man stuffs. Everything is going sucky for him per the usual until one day, researchers find this mysterious alien life form that was stuck on J. Jonah Jameson's son's (I can't for the life of me remember his name) rocket. So this life form we find out is a symbiote that shares a what? A Symbiotic relationship with Peter Parker. Now here's where the Biology comes in. What's a symbiotic relationship you may be asking? "It's great when you hold both parts of the conversation." Ignoring that, Well, it's an interaction between two different organisms living in close physical association. I wish I could tell you that I learned that in Biology but unfortunately, Spider-man honestly taught me that but that's neither here nor there... So both these parties are getting benefits from this whole working together thing, Peter Parker is stronger and faster and has a neat new suit, while the symbiote as a nice home and feeds off of Peter Parker's negative emotions. It's only till Peter Parker realizes that he's becoming a jerk and people are moving away from him (more than usual) that he realizes that, like the quote says,
 "The power, feels good... But you lose yourself to it..."
Lots of cool action things happen and the day is saved as usual by Spider-man, and his mask and suit ripped in literally the same spots each time... As it turned out, Peter Parker became the Symbiote's puppet and that didn't fly with him. But the point of all of that is, Peter Parker felt powerful and in control when under the control of the symbiote, I chose that phrase specifically. He THOUGHT he was in control until he realized, he wasn't. "You know, reading that, I thought that was gonna have a more profound meaning..." Yea, I totally did too... 
An example of the "bad things" Elder Lopez
does not support. 

So that brings us to the whole morality issue that I bet you were dying to read about. "Well, I made it this far right..?" An excellent point. Why is it so easy to be bad than it is to be good? "Is that a rhetorical question?" In a sense yes, but before you say anything about me being a bad guy, I'm gonna answer your rude question with a quote, "Just because you are bad guy does not mean you are BAD guy." Don't take that in any way more than just a Wreck It Ralph quote... Elder Lopez does not support the bad stuffs... 
Moving on, think about it, we live in a world where it's so much easier and more gratifying to do bad things, whether it's using coarse language cause the cool kids think it's cool, or simply changing or lowering your standards to match that of others. It's real easy. 

In today's day and age, having high standards is being challenged by people who disagree with what some others believe is the "norm" "I don't think that one was correct English..." Yea, me neither but who's gonna know? "Everyone... Okay, realistically, just me." Well, rather than share a personal example from my life, let's hear what an apostle of the Lord has to say about this. 

"Recently, I spoke with a Laurel from the United States. I quote from her email:"

“This past year some of my friends on Facebook began posting their position on marriage. Many favored same-sex marriage, and several LDS youth indicated they ‘liked’ the postings. I made no comment.

“I decided to declare my belief in traditional marriage in a thoughtful way.

“With my profile picture, I added the caption ‘I believe in marriage between a man and a woman.’ Almost instantly I started receiving messages. ‘You are selfish.’ ‘You are judgmental.’ One compared me to a slave owner. And I received this post from a great friend who is a strong member of the Church: ‘You need to catch up with the times. Things are changing and so should you.’

“I did not fight back,” she said, “but I did not take my statement down.”

She concludes: “Sometimes, as President Monson said, ‘You have to stand alone.’ Hopefully as youth, we will stand together in being true to God and to the teachings of His living prophets.”

So much potential...

So yes, it's tough to "Choose the Right" as they say, but it is always worth it in the end. Don't believe me? Well... That's your own fault... I've put enough compelling evidence. The point is, as the very deep Laffy Taffy wrapper I read said, sometimes, we just have to choose what kind of person we want to be. Whether we want to be a force for good, or a force for evil. Now at this point you may be asking, "I'll ask this one... Well, what about those people who do horrible heinous things to good people and get stuff from it? Why do they get off Scot-free while the other peoples suffer?" Ohh... A good question. This goes back to the whole instant gratification thing from earlier. Yes, they get something now, but from an eternal perspective, they wh- actually, let's let the scriptures take care of this one. 
"So the last shall be first, and the first last"
So what that's saying is, those who "think" they are getting ahead by hurting others, will find that they are far behind in the very end. So overall, be good! Do good things! It's hard sure, but it's worth it! Need help? There is tons of help here! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Priscilla Pringle's Predicament - Reader's Theater at Lethbridge Whoop-U...

This week was quite fun for me because I got to portray the main antagonist in a Reader's Theater called 'Priscilla Pringle's Predicament/All's Swell That Ends Swell' that Playgoers of Lethbridge put on at Lethbridge Whoop-Up Days 2017. The story was written by Ed Bayly, a truly wonderful individual. Doing the performances all week reminded me of how much I love participating in theater. Please enjoy this recording! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIh88Y5H3cI&t=1135s

Avatar: The Last Post

"In the era before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energies within ourselves." -A giant Lion Turtle Avatar the Last Airbender was one of my favorite shows when I was but a lad, which was about a year ago... If you haven't seen it, then you have missed out, cause they're already on the second series, season, whatever you wanna call it, but it's on Netflix so there's that. "Are you sure you're not talking about the Blue cat people?" I'm positive... I mean, it was just great, BUT, much like Pokemon, it was one of those shows, that you watch and you get sad cause you're like, "Why can't I do that?" So it was sort of bittersweet. Anyway, what I'm trying to get at, is that it's great. "You really liked it huh?" Chyea, I was thinking about it the other day and something hit me... I think it was a Dragonfly, cause let me tell you, that thing was HUGE and it hurt... But then I realized something. 

"Around and around" by Isidro Zapata on the #mormonysablogs Official Website

Around & around we go trying to fill a void in our hearts, so around & around we go, trying to fill a void in our hearts, The Son of Man's compassion, passion and grace step in, to fill the void holding us tenderly, by his love and grace Jesus will never let us go So around and around our love grows hard to walk away from such love Jesus is the only way to live a life of bliss So around and around our love grows Jesus gave his life for you and me Wiping away every tear showing you grace from above now that is true love So around and around our love grows to the one who laid down his life so we can live a life of bliss hard to walk away from such love so around and around our love grows to him who laid down his life for you and me CR2016-01-04 iz