Skip to main content

April 3, 2014

This week has been very relaxing because I had to call in for jury duty every day this week. They didn't require me to come in though. On Tuesday I hung out with, my right hand man, Jesse Kaupert. We have been led to be roommates at Brigham Young University: Idaho. At the end of last semester, we decided on goals for next semester. One of the goals was to run faster than a specific time for a long distance. I plan to break ten minutes for the distance of two miles. This was my goal during my senior year of high school, and I was unable to seize the opportunity then, and Jesse's goal is to run faster than five and a half minutes for a mile. I have been offering my encouragement and wisdom to run faster than five minutes for the mile, but he insists to run by his own wisdom and means. He decided on a strict routine that he got from a amateur sprinter. This kind of surprised me, but he still rejects my advice. He is going to wait until the end of the semester to see, if he will meet his goal.
I did a mile time trial last Tuesday after we did his work out. His work out was to run four one hundred meter sprints. This is definitely a sprinter work out. A long distance runner would do this as a warm up, and have a much more lengthy and harder work out after. I hope that he meets his goal.
I had to decide on a conservative mile trial strategy. I started my winter break training very well; however, I did my aggressive training after work, which took a toll on my body, because I was working out after an eight hour work day, standing on my feet and doing physical labor the entire time. Running seven to nine miles a day after work made my feet hurt, and I had slight knee pains after a month or so, when I first got home from school. Last summer I ran before work, and that was fine; however, this break, running after work, I can't be as aggressive as I am use to. I have had to go easy on myself this past month or so. This was my reasoning in my strategy. I planned to run eighty seconds per lap and a five-twenty mile.
I didn't feel very confident in my time trial. It didn't feel like how it use to in high school or in cross country at the university, but the feeling is kind of standard now a days. Running mile time trials is not new for me. I felt like I wasn't pushing my mental strength, but I was barely hanging on to it. I have found that mental strength is very important in running. There is a saying in racing that I don't believe. Coaches say that at the end of the race everyone feels the same exhaustion, so just triumph over that and you can be the winner. I don't believe everyone is the same in track and cross country. In my time trial, I ran the first lap in seventy seconds, which was ten seconds faster than I attended, and I tried to keep the same intensity the entire time. Jesse didn't get my other splits, but he said that I ran practically exactly five-twenty. I was surprised that I hit my goal time.
In high school, I learned the strength of mental fitness. One of the most impressive of my friends is Georgi Dinoluv. We did a pull up contest my senior year of high school in a weight training class. I worked out probably double the amount for the event, but I still lost to him because he has a greater capacity for achievement. One thing that I regret was that he asked me how much I think that I can do, and I said that I am at eighty percent when I do twenty pull ups. Guess what. My one hundred percent of the contest was twenty-four because I gave myself a mental limit. I learned then not to give myself mental limits. Georgi got twenty-seven or something like that. I trained better than him, and he admired me for that to help him train well. Performance is oftentimes when it counts the most though. I always focused on pushing my mental limits in training for my past cross country season and the beginning of my winter break, and I need to get back into this attitude now that I have adapted to my new lifestyle.
It was raining as I did my time trial, and for the people that would like to know more about Jesse Kaupert, when he is a single university student. The rain got to him, and he had to go puke. He seems to be an occasional puker. He is not super competitive. I suggested that he should do a time trial with the track team, but he doesn't want to do that. He does his personal best though. I have seen many people puke during work outs and training, but I have never been one of them. The is probably because I don't go all out, giving myself a mental. Who knows?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Priscilla Pringle's Predicament - Reader's Theater at Lethbridge Whoop-U...

This week was quite fun for me because I got to portray the main antagonist in a Reader's Theater called 'Priscilla Pringle's Predicament/All's Swell That Ends Swell' that Playgoers of Lethbridge put on at Lethbridge Whoop-Up Days 2017. The story was written by Ed Bayly, a truly wonderful individual. Doing the performances all week reminded me of how much I love participating in theater. Please enjoy this recording! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIh88Y5H3cI&t=1135s

"Around and around" by Isidro Zapata on the #mormonysablogs Official Website

Around & around we go trying to fill a void in our hearts, so around & around we go, trying to fill a void in our hearts, The Son of Man's compassion, passion and grace step in, to fill the void holding us tenderly, by his love and grace Jesus will never let us go So around and around our love grows hard to walk away from such love Jesus is the only way to live a life of bliss So around and around our love grows Jesus gave his life for you and me Wiping away every tear showing you grace from above now that is true love So around and around our love grows to the one who laid down his life so we can live a life of bliss hard to walk away from such love so around and around our love grows to him who laid down his life for you and me CR2016-01-04 iz

Avatar: The Last Post

"In the era before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energies within ourselves." -A giant Lion Turtle Avatar the Last Airbender was one of my favorite shows when I was but a lad, which was about a year ago... If you haven't seen it, then you have missed out, cause they're already on the second series, season, whatever you wanna call it, but it's on Netflix so there's that. "Are you sure you're not talking about the Blue cat people?" I'm positive... I mean, it was just great, BUT, much like Pokemon, it was one of those shows, that you watch and you get sad cause you're like, "Why can't I do that?" So it was sort of bittersweet. Anyway, what I'm trying to get at, is that it's great. "You really liked it huh?" Chyea, I was thinking about it the other day and something hit me... I think it was a Dragonfly, cause let me tell you, that thing was HUGE and it hurt... But then I realized something.